On Friday, March 31, Spring Collegiate MAXI contestants will gather at Quad Graphics in Alexandria, VA, to present direct marketing pitches to the MAXI judges. Competitors from the marketing departments of the University of Maryland, George Mason University, Christopher Newport University, and Radford University will create a full-scale integrated marketing communications strategy [IMC] for the American Red Cross. Each participating college/university is invited to bring two teams.
Nineteen professors from 12 academic institutions in the Mid-Atlantic attended the 2017 Professors’ Institute. Due to pending renovations at American University, this year’s January 4-5 PI was hosted by Blackbaud in downtown D.C. Attendees also were invited to an evening reception on January 4 at Firefly.
DMAW/EF President Rick Powell announced three awards at The 2016 Best of Direct Awards ceremony on November 30. Recipients included Professor Paula Morris of Salisbury State University; Greg Albright, co-founder and principal of PS/PS Digital; and Scott Huch, president of The Delta Group.
Salisbury University wrote this article about Professor Paula Morris, who received the DMAW/EF O’Hara Leadership Award.
The DMAW/EF is now accepting applications for Student Ambassadors for spring 2017.
Are you a PROFESSOR at a college or university in the Mid-Atlantic area with a few exceptional students who might benefit from the EF’s
Are you a STUDENT looking to make professional contacts?
Are you a MANAGER AT A DIRECT MARKETING FIRM
on the outlook for talent?
President and CEO
Production Management Group
On January 6-7, the DMAW Educational Foundation hosted a two-day seminar for marketing professors from colleges and universities in the Mid-Atlantic area. Here are three reasons why this annual coming-together is good news for you.
- Many of your new hires in the next few years will come from the schools where these professors teach marketing: Bowie State, American U., Drexel, James Madison, Christopher Newport, George Mason, Towson, Virginia State University, Radford, Johns Hopkins, Salisbury, UDC, Robert Morris, GWU, Pennsylvania State… the number of participating colleges and universities is growing.
- Twenty-three attending professors heard about industry trends from your experienced marketing colleagues. For example:
- Janet Tonner, CDR Fundraising Group, told attendees how CDRFG attributes the effect of its popular “Wounded Warrior” television messaging [DRTV] alongside such other channels as direct mail, email, telemarketing and advertising.
- Steve MacKley, Beaconfire/Red Engine, evaluated “snackable content” like infographics and email banners and reviewed online software applications like piktochart and CANVA. One of the attending professors endorsed piktochart, saying, “My students really appreciate an assignment where they can be creative.”
- Aynat Ravin is in charge of helping Marriott figure out how to attract Millennials to the company’s rewards program. The challenge to choose among Marriott’s 18 separate brands proved not-so-easy, said Aynat, but PI attendees appreciated learning which strategies worked and which fell short.
- Steve Zdanowicz described how Quad Graphics/BLUESOHO helps clients leverage data and insights to take the message beyond print to mobile. This popular session scored high across the board.
- With the growing focus on data and technology, Chris Beauchemin and Kris Murphy from LMO Advertising presented a marketing automation study.
- CDRFG’s Katy Jordan and Courtney Mulcahy joined LMO’s Kris Murphy to arm professors with the carry-home career information marketing students need right now: job descriptions, required qualifications, and salary ranges.
One hundred percent of attending professors said they will recommend the Professors’ Institute to colleagues. Professors’ Institute is your best – maybe your only — connection to the young professionals who will be entering your marketplace next year and beyond.
Finally, thank you, Production Management Group and Merkle for your generous sponsorship of the DMAW/EF Professor’s Institute!
P.S. Two other DMAW/EF programs — Mentor-for-A-Day and the Spring and Fall Collegiate MAXI Awards — also offer chances for marketing professionals to interact with the new generation. To get involved with any DMAW/EF program, contact DMAW/EF Program Co-Chairs Liz Murphy and Katy Jordan. Email addresses are listed at dmawef.org.